Friday, December 25, 2009

Best of 09 - Day 25

  
    
   December 25 Gift. What's a gift you gave yourself this year that has kept on giving?
Another philosophical answer seems to be coming. I think the best thing I've given myself all year is forgiveness. Forgiveness for failing half the bar exam, forgiveness for not being able to find a job, forgiveness for my shortcomings as a wife, forgiveness for things I don't like about my body. Just generally giving myself permission to fall flat on my face.

I've also given myself permission to forgive others. Forgive people who have hurt me, forgive M when he upsets me, forgive the dogs for having an "on purpose" all over the kitchen, forgive my mother for not being the person she could have chosen to be, even if I don't understand it and it still pains me.

Forgiveness shouldn't be confused with laziness - "oh so you didn't accomplish anything today? that's cool, whatever." It's saying "you were tired today, and you didn't do as much as you would have liked. But you'll do it tomorrow, and the world will still keep turning". It's saying that its ok to be imperfect, to screw up royally, even hurt people sometimes, but you keep trying to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment